Communities In Schools of Houston (CIS) is a campus-based Dropout Prevention program serving at-risk students in the Houston area since 1979. CIS is proven to both decrease dropout rates and increase graduation rates. CIS worked with school systems on over 120 campuses from Pre-K through 12 as well as on four community college campuses to provide direct social services to at-risk students and connect students with available community resources.
During the 2015-2016 school year:
- 31,101 at-risk students and their families served
- 7,345 students who received intensive services through case management
- 98% of case managed students stayed in school
- 95% of eligible seniors graduated
- 96% showed marked improvement in academics, attendance, and/or behavior
- 93% were promoted to the next grade level
CIS staff continues to wisely utilize and leverage community resources and enjoys the commitment of over 400 partner agencies.
Through school-based coordination, Communities In Schools of Houston connects students and their families to critical community resources tailored to local needs. By providing students with a one-on-one relationship with a caring adult, a safe place to learn and grow, a healthy start and a healthy future, a marketable skill to use upon graduation, and a chance to give back to peers and the community, CIS has become the nation’s leading dropout prevention organization and the only one proven to both decrease dropout rates and increase graduation rates.