Mission and Beliefs
The mission of Communities In Schools of Houston (CIS) is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
CIS believes that every child deserves and needs the Five Basics to succeed academically and beyond. The Five Basic principles of CIS are:
1. A one-on-one relationship with a caring adult
- Children need positive role models to create expectations for success, offer encouragement and provide academic support. CIS provides children who are at-risk with a responsible adult to foster their positive growth and development.
2. A safe place to learn and grow
- Through after-school and summer programs focused on academics and life skills, CIS is dedicated to ensuring that students have a safe and appropriate environment in which to learn and achieve their potential.
3. A healthy start and a healthy future
- Many school-aged children lack basic medical services and nutritious food – essential for healthy development. CIS provides access to health and dental care, food programs and counseling services for thousands of students who might otherwise go without.
4. A marketable skill to use upon graduation
- When students see that they have options in life, they get excited about their future. CIS works with students on career development and readiness, and helps create pathways to college.
5. A chance to give back to peers and community
- CIS works with students to build their confidence, develop their talents and leadership skills, and strengthen their involvement in community service and service-learning activities.
CIS places a full-time social service provider on the school campus to deliver a variety of services and provide referals to other agencies as needed to ensure that every student we touch receives these Five Basics.