Volunteer with CIS
Communities In Schools of Houston (CIS) works closely with community volunteers to meet the needs of its students and their families. Each year, almost 2,000 volunteers for CIS provide thousands of hours of service worth more than 1.4 million dollars to help empower kids to stay in school.
CIS has ongoing volunteer opportunities in many elementary, middle and high schools, as well as its Central Office. Volunteer opportunities include:
- Tutoring in math, science, and reading
- College preparation
- Employment/Job Preparedness
Your commitment and talents WILL make a difference!
As a volunteer, your services to CIS Sites are provided strictly in a volunteer capacity without any expressed or implied promise of employment. All incoming volunteers will be REQUIRED to take and clear a criminal background screening before they can begin. Based upon the results of your screening, Communities In Schools may limit or terminate your services at any time.
As a volunteer, you agree to:
- Be dependable and arrive on time
- Sign in and out each time you visit the school
- Respect the privacy of all students, staff, and volunteers by keeping all information received confidential (including but not limited to test results and home/family matters)
- Never be under the influence of or in possession of alchohol or drugs while serving
- Never carry weapons while serving
- Be respectful of student learning disabilities
- Not use inappropriate language while volunteering
- Never transport children
- Try to avoid using electronic devices such as cell phone or Blackberry, while working with students
- Not engage in religious or political activity when volunteering
- Never give medication to children
- Not photograph any student
- Report unsafe conditions and notify appropriate school personnel of suspected child abuse and/or neglect
- Communicate any concerns or questions to the CIS site Project Manager.
You have confirmed that you have read, understood, and accept the statements detailed above. You also agree to submit to the policies, regulations, and procedures of the school or project to which you are assigned.
Should you have any questions or concerns about becoming a volunteer, please contact the Communities In Schools, Strategic Partnerships Department at (713) 654-1515 ext. 165 or